Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Trio of Rieslings: Take Two

My favourite Riesling is one I often feature in my Intro to Wine Classes, the Dr. Loosen Dr. L Riesling.  I am amazed at how many young female students cheer when I serve it, "It's my favourite wine!"  I am not young nor female, but it is one of my old standbys. For over ten years, this is often the favourite white wine of a ten wine tasting.  Even people who are red wine fans, can't believe how delicious this wine is.


Dr. Loosen makes wine in the Mosel, a small tributary off the major Rhine waterway where the fruit is hand picked off vines on steep hillsides. . Mosels are bottled in tall slender green bottles and have a more 'feminine' delicate quality to them. A gentle and suave aroma of apple and a hint of peach seduces your nose.  The flavour is deliciously balanced with those fruits and the crispness of the natural acids which gets your digestive juices flowing, desiring more wine and perhaps some appies to go with it!  Yes it is off-dry (1 out of 10 in sweetness), just enough to balance the tartness of the wine with a lingering finish that screams out, "I want more!" If you get really analytically, you can detect some refreshing minerality, perhaps a hint of slate where the grapes grow on those steep hills overlooking the Mosel. "Das is Gut" as they say in the Mosel.


Because of its fruity character and acidity, Riesling partners very well with many foods, including pork.  When I cook a roast pork or pork chops, I usually will pour some Riesling into the pan juices with a splash of chicken stock, along with a sprig of rosemary. Then when the pork is sliced and plated, a glass of Riesling will be the absolutely perfect partner.  The acidity of the Riesling will cut the richness of the pork and the gravy, and the fruity apple character of the wine will be the 'applesauce' which is always a great fit with pork.


Dr. Loosen Dr. L 2010 Riesling, Mosel, Germany, 8.5%, $18.99
Light Aromatic White; Highly Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment